Sunday, April 5, 2009

In the beginning....

...There was an enormous amount of research.  Books read, websites perused, stomachaches created.   Ah, not the norm for becoming with child huh?   


Well, I have never been 100% conventional, and after quitting an all encompassing career, traveling much of the world, and moving to the town I'd always dreamed about, I decided that being a Mom was something I always wanted to do.    Much the same as many new mommys-to-be, but here's the catch with me.  I am a single girl, who is recently enough out of a relationship to realize that my child-bearing years could very well be behind me before actually finding Mr. Right.    

I went through many nights of contemplating single motherhood.   Did I think I could raise a child by myself: yes, I could.  I think I will be a great Mom.   Am I ready for it: is one ever really ready for such a life change?   Do I have time?  Finally, Yes!  Would it be fair to child?  

Now this is the big question, and I honestly do think I can provide a loving, caring household.   My family is large and will be there for me and this child.   And, unlike myself, and so many other children, my child will never have to live through divorce.     And unlike single mothers that are not by choice, I will be prepared for the issues that a single parent household can create.   

There are those out there that may disagree with my choice, just as some disagree with divorce, and I respect their choices for themselves, just as I hope you can and will respect mine.   There are many many children born into this world that will have way less in life than will be offered in my family.  Quirky or not.    So, yes!   

Speaking of children with way less that they should have, I have always been drawn to adoption.  I think it has come about through my travel to 3rd world countries, though I can't really be for sure.   I definitely feel a citizen of the world, and my upbringing and travel lend itself to feeling like adoption is right for me.     

Yes, I am still fertile, and yes I could get pregnant with a biological child.   And if my chosen path doesn't happen, I might still do that.  For now though, I have to go with my gut, and my gut says that there are millions of children out there that need a family.   

So here I go!  Boy is it a relief to finally make this decision and start moving.  

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates 'Sunshine' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP